Tips for CAPF Exam Preparation: How to Ace the Test and Secure Your Dream Job
CAPF stands for Central Armed Police Forces and as the name suggests it recruits officers in seven reputed armed forces of the nation. It is conducted annually by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) to recruit Assistant Commandants in Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB).
The CAPF exam which is conducted once a year consists of a written examination followed by physical standards/physical efficiency tests and medical tests, and finally a personal interview round. The written exam consists of two papers – Paper 1, the objective paper and Paper 2, the descriptive paper. Paper 1 consists of questions on general ability and intelligence, while Paper 2 is on general studies, essay, and comprehension.
Those who clear the written exam are then called for the physical standards/physical efficiency tests, which include events like running, jumping, and throws. Candidates who meet the standards of these events have to then clear a medical examination. Personality test or personal interview is the last round of the selection process. Those who are able to clear it are finally selected for recruitment.
If you’re looking to know more about the exam and tips to ace your CAPF exam preparation, you are at the right place. Here in this blog, we will provide you with the information related to eligibility criteria, syllabus, reasons to prepare for the exam, tips to clear it, and advice from the past years toppers.
Overview of CAPF Exam 2023
- Nationality: only Indian citizens or people who are subjects in Nepal and Bhutan are allowed to apply for the exam.
- Age limit: Anyone between the age of 20 to 25 years, on August 1 of the year of the exam, is eligible to take the exam. The upper age limit relaxation is granted to some categories as per the government orders.
- Educational qualification: A bachelor’s degree is the minimum educational qualification required. However, those in the final year of the exam can also apply for the exam if they are sure that they will be able to provide the graduation certificate at the time of recruitment.
- Paper 1: A student must cover topics such as general mental ability, general science, Indian polity and economy, history of India, geography, and current events of national and international importance to qualify Paper 1. Basic understanding of all subjects is required.
- Paper 2: Essay writing, comprehension, precise writing, and general awareness are important components of Paper 2.
Why Should One Prepare for the CAPF Exam 2023?
- Good Career Opportunities: CAPF offers a promising career in various forces such as Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). The selected candidates get a chance to serve the nation and contribute to the security of the country.
- Lucrative Pay and Benefits: The selected candidates are offered a good salary package along with other benefits such as medical facilities, accommodation, and travel allowances.
- Job Security: CAPF offers a high level of job security as it is a government job. Once recruited, the candidates get job security throughout their career.
- Respect and Recognition: Serving the nation and working in the security forces is considered a noble profession, and the candidates are respected and recognized in society.
- Personal Growth and Development: Working in the security forces requires physical and mental toughness, discipline, and dedication. Hence, the candidates get an opportunity to develop their overall personality and leadership qualities.
- Opportunities for Promotion: CAPF offers various opportunities for promotion and career growth. The candidates can climb up the ladder and reach higher positions with experience and dedication.
Tips to Clear CAPF Exam
Here we bring you the top 10 tips to ace your CAPF Exam Preparation
- Understand the Exam Pattern and Syllabus: The first step towards preparation is to understand the exam pattern and syllabus thoroughly. Candidates should refer to the official website of UPSC and read the exam pattern and syllabus carefully.
- Create a Study Plan: Once the syllabus is understood, candidates should create a study plan that suits their schedule and preferences. A study plan should include a daily routine, revision schedule, and time allocation for each subject.
- Solve Previous Years’ Question Papers: Solving previous years’ question papers can help candidates understand the exam pattern, difficulty level, and important topics. It also helps in developing time management skills and boosts confidence.
- Take Mock Tests: Taking mock tests is an essential part of preparation as it helps in evaluating performance and identifying weak areas. It also helps in improving time management skills and helps in developing exam-taking strategies.
- Read Newspapers and Current Affairs: General knowledge and current affairs are important sections in the CAPF exam. Candidates should read newspapers, magazines, and other current affairs materials regularly to stay updated with the latest events and happenings.
- Focus on Important Topics: Candidates should focus on important topics and subjects that have a higher weightage in the exam. Candidates should allocate more time to these subjects and ensure that they have a strong foundation in these subjects.
- Maintain Good Health: Preparing for the CAPF exam requires physical and mental toughness. Hence, candidates should maintain good health by exercising regularly, eating healthy food, and getting sufficient sleep
Advices from the Toppers of CAPF Exam
- Alok Kumar Singh (AIR 1, CAPF 2018): Alok Kumar Singh advised candidates to start their preparation early and focus on the basics. He emphasized the importance of practicing previous years’ question papers and taking mock tests. He also suggested candidates study from multiple sources and refer to reliable study materials.
- Atul Prakash (AIR 2, CAPF 2017): Atul Prakash suggested that candidates should refer to standard textbooks and study materials. He emphasized the importance of conceptual clarity and advised candidates to focus on understanding the basics. He also suggested that candidates should practice writing answers and improve their presentation skills.
- Vivek Singh (AIR 1, CAPF 2016): Vivek Singh suggested that candidates should focus on time management during the exam. He advised candidates to allocate time effectively to each section and question. He also suggested that candidates should attempt easy questions first and then move on to difficult ones.
The CAPF exam requires dedication, hard work, and a structured approach. Candidates should follow a study plan, practice previous years’ question papers, take mock tests regularly, and focus on important topics.
Additionally, they should improve their physical fitness, read newspapers and current affairs regularly, and stay calm and confident during the exam.
- How much time is enough for CAPF preparation?
The more time you take to prepare the better it would be to understand things clearly. Suppose you take less time of like 2 months, then you would need to prepare really hard.
- How to crack CAPF in the first attempt?
Serious efforts and dedication will be required. You would need to study thoroughly and revise again and again.