Salvage yards are a great resource for finding used and new marine equipment. In this article, we’ll take a look at the different types of salvage yards, the things they specialize in, and what you need to know if you’re looking to buy or sell marine equipment through a salvage yard.
What are marine salvage yards?
Marine salvage yards are businesses that help salvages and scrap metal buyers recover metal from wrecked or damaged ships. They may also be involved in the removal of oil and other pollutants from water. Salvage yards usually have heavy machinery, including cranes and hoists, to move large pieces of metal around. They also have teams of engineers and workers who can repair or rebuild vessels.
Types of marine salvage yards
There are a few different types of marine salvage yards, and knowing which one you need to contact will help you make the best decision for your specific needs.
A breakwaters or jetties department is responsible for maintaining the navigable area around a port or harbor. If there is an obstruction blocking the passing of ships, these departments are responsible for removing it.
Diving Salvage Yards: These yards specialize in recovering sunken vessels and wreckage from Port Canaveral to the Gulf of Mexico. They employ both licensed and unlicensed divers to conduct their search and recovery operations.
Rescue Diving Salvage Yards: These yards focus on recovering individuals who have been stranded on a vessel at sea. They use specialized equipment and trained personnel to extract those people safely and quickly.
Benefits of using a marine salvage yard
If you’re looking for a marine salvage yard that can help you fix your boat, then you’ll want to look into a few of the most reputable yards in the business.They are specialized businesses that deal with salvaging boats, barges, and other maritime vessels. They can fix or replace parts on your vessel, and they often have crews of skilled mechanics who are ready and willing to get your boat back into service as quickly as possible. Here are some of the benefits of using a marine salvage yard:
1. Expertise – They are experts at fixing boats and restoring them to seaworthy condition. They have years of experience working on all types of vessels, so they’re familiar with all the intricate details involved in repairing them.
2. Speed – A marine salvage yard is usually staffed by experienced mechanics who are eager to get your boat back up and running as quickly as possible. They’ll work fast and efficiently to get the job done right, which saves you time and money.
3. Quality – They take pride in their workmanship and always use high-quality materials when repairing or replacing parts on boats. This ensures that your vessel is restored to its original condition and meets all safety standards.
4. Options – They offer a variety of repair options, so you can choose the solution that best suits your needs. They also have access to a wide range of equipment and supplies.
How to choose the right marine salvage yard?
If you’re in need of marine salvage services, it’s important to choose the right yard. Here’s a rundown of what you need to know to find the right salvage yard for your needs:
What type of vessels are you salvaging?
The type of vessel you are salvaging will dictate the kind of salvage yard that is best suited for your needs. For example, if you are salvaging a large vessel like a cargo ship or an oil tanker, yards with heavy machinery and experience with these types of vessels is necessary. Conversely, if you are salvaging a small fishing boat, a small-time yard may be more appropriate.
How much experience do they have?
Salvage yards come with varying levels of experience and knowledge when it comes to marine salvage. Some yards have been in business for decades, while others may only have been operating for a few years. It is important to research the experience and knowledge level of the salvage yard before making a decision.
Are they licensed and insured?
All marine salvage yards must be licensed and insured by state law. Make sure to ask about their licensing and insurance status before making any decisions. Additionally, check to see if they have any certifications or awards from reputable organizations like The Coast Guard or American Salvage Association (ASA).
If you are in the market for marine salvage yards, it is important that you understand what to look for. Here are tips that will help you identify the best yards for your needs:
1. Size – A marine salvage yard should be large enough to handle the size and type of vessel you are looking to salvage.
2. Category – Each category of a vessel has its own set of requirements, so make sure to inquire about what a yard can do before making an appointment.
3. Facilities – A good yard should have all the necessary facilities, including cranes and hoists, to safely carry out your salvaging project.
4. Staff – The staff at a good yard should be knowledgeable and able to provide helpful advice regarding salvaging vessels of different types and sizes.
5. Services – Some yards offer additional services such as boat hauling and engine rebuilding, which can save you time and money down the road.
6. Prices – Don’t forget to factor in prices when comparing marine salvage yards! You want to find a yard that is affordable without sacrificing the quality or services offered.